Monday, January 14, 2013

READY, SET, GO...MY GAME PLAN

So as most of you have been anxiously awaiting what my next step of treatment will be...I think you could only imagine how I must have been feeling.

Last night was by far a tough night...I thought a lot about my appointment today with my oncologist and the news that I would be told. To be honest...I was SCARED!!!  I know everything truly is in God's hands...but the not knowing is what is frightening. 
 
So we arrived at 3:34 for my 4pm appointment.  Before we could turn off of Bell Road I mentioned that  I had the feeling that I was turning into the parking lot of school to take an exam.  As if my stomach isn't already having issues from my whipple surgery...now what I would be told was driving me crazy.

After waiting and filling out the usual paper work...I was called back into exam room #2 to meet with Dr. Ondreyco. Today I had my Mama (breast cancer survivor), Carol "Mama Chick" (bc survivor,too!-and we both carpooled to radiation for our breast cancer fight)-I knew that the 3 of us all being Dr. O's patients that we are there for support and sometimes hearing the news the oncologist gives isn't always the most pleasant so the more support and shoulders to cry on...the better.

Within a matter of a few minutes in walks Dr. O-shaking her head and still in disbelief that I was there for now another battle with cancer.  She wanted to know from the beginning when this started...what I did...where I was...and just couldn't believe it.  After I gave her all the pertinent information...it was game time! 

She begin to rattle off all the "recommended treatment" info:
Chemotherapy and Radiation
The Chemo is given continuously through a pump with the drug 5FU along with radiation.
The chemo continues 7 days a week.
Possible s/e: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and mouth sores.
Radiation is every day MONDAY-FRIDAY.
This therapy will continue for 6-7 weeks.
Following this additional chemo with the drug Gemzar is given once a week for 2 weeks then 1 week off and then repeated for 4 months.

So what does this mean???
I will get to carry a little pouch around that has "MY" chemo pump that will be connected to my port.  After 7 days I will go back into the office to get more meds put into the pump.

Dr. Ondreyco also said...by the way this chemo you will NOT be losing your hair. I know that sounds ridiculous to be stressing about...I was bald once before...but for the sake of my little girls that scared me.  So yay for that news :)

Questions she asked...how are you doing after your whipple and who is your GI doctor now?
I replied...I don't have one.  YOU have to have a GI doctor...so first thing in the morning I will be calling the GI that diagnosed my cancer from Thunderbird.  I have to get my abdominal issues under control before I start treatments.  My goal is to get into the GI dr-STAT and get pancreatic enzyme replacements...this will help with my absorption of food=which will make me stronger and able to tolerate the radiation that will be directly aimed on my abdomen.

Questions I asked...What STAGE am I??? The question that EVERYONE has been asking/wondering... I am staged at 2B. 

What is the prognosis I asked???  Dr O replied...as far as I am concerned...as soon as you complete your treatments...you will be CURED! This is when I lost it...and she couldn't have had enough tissues in that room.  Of course there is always a chance of recurrence...but that is true in all types of cancers. 

So what is the game plan???
Tomorrow I will meet with my NEW radiation oncologist who specializes in the radiation aspect of my treatment. Tomorrow I will start on my aloe vera juice and faithfully drink it as I did with my breast cancer (I will blog about this later).  I will also call and get GI appointment STAT so I can get my eating/appetite to where it should be.  Then if all goes as planned...1-28-2013 will be the start of my attack!

What I need??? PRAYERS still please...we are far from being over with this fight...but your prayers are being heard and I continue to feel the love.  When I fought cancer before it was chemo for so many months...then radiation for so many weeks after that. Now that they are combined...I need prayers for strength and determination. Chemo is harsh as we all know this...but radiation really zaps you tired.  It has been told to me that one radiation treatment is equal to 8 hours in the hot sun...I will be doing this 5 days/week.  I pray that God continues to strengthen me physically, mentally, and emotionally each and everyday as I keep fighting this fight. 
Until next time...keep the prayers comin'
XO-JAMIE

11 comments:

  1. Baby steps. You are on the right road and with God as your guide you can not get lost. Love you. And I will CONTINUE to pray for strength & miracles & the pure love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers sent my friend. YOU GOT THIS!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you sweet girl. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweet girl, I am praying for u, all the way,........you are so strong, I envy u........HUGS....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Yes! Yes! So happy to hear this & ready to help you during this fight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you have the plan of attack! You are strong and you will beat this! Prayers are a strong healer, and they are being sent your way! Trust in Him and HE will see you thru!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending continuous prayers your way my friend. May God give u all the strength u need while on your treatments.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing!! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and thankyou so much for sharing all that will be going on. you are so amazing, and you reflect our amazing God so very much. Trusting Him to be with you in the highs and lows of everyday. Love you mcuh and prayers always...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear God,
    I come to you with a heavy heart as you already know. I ask that you will give "jamiejames" the strength and courage that she has always had. Please help her through these tough times and wrap your hands of love and protection around her and her family. Let your everlasting light shine brighter than ever for her showing her the way, your way. Lord give the Dr's the wisdom, guidance and compassion to fix her and rid her of all cancer. We thank you for all that you have done and are doing in her life as we speak and thank you for your love and your word.
    In your glorious name
    we pray
    Amen

    ReplyDelete