Sunday, April 7, 2013

Gemsar...Week #1

So Monday (April 1st) I began my first dose of Gemsar (chemo)...it didn't take too long. I was hooked up through my port and from the time I sat down in the chemo chair till I left...it was just under 2 hours.  Much better than carrying the chemo pump around...or how it was 7 years ago for me...sitting there for almost 6 hours.

The most common side effects of this chemo are : flu-like symptoms, nausea, vomiting, low blood counts, and fever...one of the LESS common side effects=Hair loss. (so we shall see). By the 1st night after getting Gemsar...I was experiencing some of the side effects...but by Wednesday I started to feel somewhat "normal".

The chemo RN took my blood obviously before starting my chemo and my white cell count has once again decreased.  It was still "OK" to receive the chemo.  Tomorrow (Monday April 8th) I will more than likely get a neupogen injection before I get the chemo.  Then Tuesday I will go in for the ever so nasty NEULASTA injection.  Neulasta and I are NOT friends...that injection was given to me 7 years ago...anyone that you ask that has gotten a neulasta injection will agree-the pain stinks!!!  Not to mention the $10,000 price tag for just ONE injection. All I can say is I am not looking forward to the ridiculous bone pain. OK...I think you now understand I HATE (very STRONG word) NEULASTA!

I also am praying for good "tumor-marker" levels...my last one had actually elevated and I am praying that it has come down...tomorrow I should be getting those results.  As most of you are aware...my CA19-9 was at 1617 at T-Bird hospital back in November when I was diagnosed.  The normal level should be UNDER 36.  So after my whipple surgery and part of 5FU chemo and radiation...it decreased to 117...then it went back up to 175.  I am praying it was from all the inflammation from radiation.  (Seeing how I have since had a CT-SCAN and nothing showed up)

Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers!!! God is good...we just need to be calm and have FAITH in HIM!!!

Until next time...I will be enjoying my day with my girls before I start round #2 of Gemsar.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete