Wednesday, July 3, 2013

For S & Z

So last night was like any other night driving to Kids Can Cope...but I really was paying close attention to the awkward sky...it wasn't your typical AZ sunset...or Cloudy blue sky...instead it was that gloomy looking sky...one before a storm rolls in.  I thought to myself...perhaps it was our Heavenly Father sending us a sign that Heaven was opening up...for perhaps the 19 firefighters that lost their lives...or someone that I knew...but I had no idea. I just said a silent prayer and continued driving my girls towards the hospital where they meet twice a month. 

Let me explain about the whole "sky-experience"...whether it has been a family member or friend who has passed...there has been some wicked weather and I like to think of it as they are sending us a sign...that hey...I am in a better place...for instance...after we lost my Dad...it literally rained and I mean rained HARD for Arizona to where things were fields were flooded...I still remember the smell of my Mom's front yard...covered in rain water.

So back to last night...

I figured since Taryn turns 11 on Monday...It would be cool to stop and get a snack for her to share with all the other kids. So why not?...would it make us a tad bit late-yes.  But I wanted to make her feel special as birthdays are a BIG deal to me. 

So we walked onto the 3rd floor of the hospital 7 minutes late.  Better late than never is my motto in life :)  As I sat down Kelly the director of Kids Can Cope shared the magazine that featured us in it (next blog)...I was proud seeing all the kids and what they had to say about coming to the group.

Next thing I look up and I see "S" walking to wash her hands from an activity they were doing in the group. Out of my mouth I asked this simple question, "How is your Mama doing?"...
(Her Mama...I met a few months back as she brought her babies S & Z to Kids Can Cope...she had been battling Colon/Breast Cancer)

It was at that very moment that I saw this young teenage girl answer my "simple" question with the soul of a 30+ year old. She looked into my eyes and calmly answered "She passed away this morning at 6:15"

I got out of my chair to give her a hug...that is all I could do...I was shocked and in disbelief...tears began to fill my eyes...which soon turned into tears rolling down my face.  I reassured her that we are there for her and her brother and that if I could do anything...please contact me. 

She shared with me her mother's wishes and what she was planning.  What teenager should have to witness their Grandma and then a little over a year later their Mom lose their battles to this horrible disease.  My heart aches for S & Z!  When I looked into her eyes tonight...I saw a girl that I know as a Mom...her Mama is sooo proud of her. Her strength is amazing and I know there will be good days and bad...but this young lady is something quite amazing!!!

I pray for comfort for S & Z and know their "Angel", their Mama is NO longer suffering anymore. Stay strong you 2...you have a story to tell and I know your Mama is always going to be with you!

So folks...you see when I saw that sky tonight...it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me...it was simply God saying...She's no longer in pain...she is in a much better place!  When we drove away Taryn and Maesyn asked why I was quite upset...I answered...because tomorrow is never promised...we have to keep living day to day and live life to the fullest-while making a difference.

Until next time-uplift S & Z in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Made me cry thinking about my mom I love her so much and the battle she had to put up with was just not right she was in so much pain all I can say is cancer sucks make the most out of life tomorrow isn't promised she is in a better place now and isn't in anymore pain

    ReplyDelete