Tuesday, February 5, 2013

10 YEARS-My Daddy

10 YEARS
Where oh where have the years gone by,
It seems as if you and I were just in your plane for a short little fly.
Hours have turned into days...days into months...and now months into years.
I know you are not physically here but I know you can hear me as I shed so many tears.
So much has happened since you have been gone and life just isn't the same,
I know there has been a lot of good that has gone on and then other stuff that is such a shame.
For those that don't know how you passed I will share because I know that they truly care
It was while he was riding down Vulture Mine Rd on his Harley-the news still hard to share.
We were all in such shock and didn't know how to respond...how could this be?
It wouldn't be until months later for myself that the picture was plain and that I could see.
I still don't think its fair that Taryn was just 6 months old...and Maesyn, Lakyn, and Hyder,
Wouldn't get to meet you or see what a great "Poppy" you were-instead we are here for a reminder.
Mama stays strong just for your baby girls...but we know how tough it must be,
Being married for so many years and then losing your best friend...how devastating  you see.
Life may have continued to move on...but your memory remains forever in our hearts.
It was 2-5-03 that I last spoke to you and said those 3 simple words...I LOVE YOU!
Thank you for the signs you continue to give me,
I know you are always around I look and shall see.
Thank you for being my angel-and saving my life, with out you I might not have made it in 2005,
Instead I SURVIVED...and now I have you with me as I fight again and do the Pan-Can jive.
I LOVE YOU...always will-Thank you for loving me and allowing me to call you DADDY!
 
 
William D. Lanford
8-3-1954*2-5-2003
My father was a loving Daddy to my sister and I.  Husband to my Mama.  Grandpa to my baby girl who was just shy by 3 days of turning 6 months old.  He was the Buckeye Valley District Fire Chief at the time of his passing.  On 2-5-2003 he fueled up his fire-engine red "FF edition" Harley and headed up the hill to Prescott, AZ.  I last spoke to him at 3:30pm and we had made plans to meet for dinner.  It was at about 5:50pm that he got his angel wings as he was driving south of Wickenburg, AZ on Vulture Mine Road.  On 2-10-2003 he was laid to rest with a procession miles long with fire-trucks, ambulances, friends and family. Once to the cemetery the medial helicopters flew in "missing man" formation as they had "Chief Lanford's" last call.  One year later after his passing many members from the fire district placed a gorgeous memorial on the side of the road-if any one drives down Vulture Mine Road-you won't miss it as the Maltese cross sits about 6 feet tall. 
 
My Daddy truly believed in making a difference each and everyday no matter how big, or how small.  It was about 1 1/2 years after his passing that I discovered I had breast cancer and it was a shirt of his-which I had NEVER worn before that I noticed the small spot of blood on my chest. I truly believe he sent me a sign and saved my life, as I was already to stage 3.
 
If I could do anything to have my Daddy back...I would! I know that I can't so I keep his memory alive and try to follow in his foot steps the best that I know how to.
 
Life is too short...we must learn to forgive and forget and tell your loved ones what they truly mean to you.  Just a simple: I am sorry...I am proud of you...and most important-I LOVE YOU!
 
Thank you Daddy for all the lives you touched and for all the little differences that you made.
 


4 comments:

  1. We all take life for granted as well as the ones in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad! Jamie, you are such a inspiration to others in sharing your life experiences. Although I do not know you personally - I do know your Mother (she will always be Miss Pammy to me) and went to school with her sister Paula (best friends in school). You are blessed to have such a wonderful family. Bill was an amazing man and is missed by all that knew him. Keep the faith strong in your pan can dance, you can do this!!! Hugs, Kim Flower DeMoise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute. Miss him so and know that he is so very proud of his girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. My name is Douglas Elam. My mother was Carolyn Sanders. Lee and Arbelle raised her. I have lived in Idaho since 1999. Are you talking about Bill Lanford, son of Raymond (Uncle Bean) and Margie?
    How is Rand, Mike and Pam doing?

    Douglas Elam

    elam_doug@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete