Monday, February 11, 2013

"HE" had it all planned...

So most of you know my routine by now.  I go to radiation 5x/week (Monday-Friday)...I am hooked up to my chemo pump continuously for a total of 7 weeks with this chemo (5FU) and every Monday I go into the "chemo room" and get my pump refilled. With more poison...the poison that kills the "C" cells and gives me a chance to enjoy life longer. :)

Monday's are pretty uneventful-I drive to radiation and then wait around for my "fill up" a few hours later.  Well today I just wasn't feeling up to waiting around for the additional 2 hours till I went to my med. oncologist office for my chemo.  I called into the office-asked nicely if they had any availability-if I could come early?! Sure enough...and it was the short drive from radiation to there that I was thinking-YES! I get to be done 2 hours early...will get to pick up my girls from school...and enjoy the rest of my afternoon with my babies.

But God had other plans...

Instead of my "maybe" 45 minute appointment...it turned into 2 hours and 20 minutes.  What in the world...my port was seriously having a mind of its own.  Wouldn't give my RN any blood return...and just being down right stubborn.  The RN gave me 2mg of Activase (I believe it is used to break up the fibrin that accumulates around the catheter of my port)-I waited 20 minutes...nothing! Then they gave me some Heparin...yep! Still nothing...had me lay back-turn my head to the opposite side of my port...sit up...take a deep breath...yep! Still nothing.  Finally after 2 hours...it worked! 

But the exciting and heart-warming part of sitting there for so long...I got to share my story to yet another stranger that I left feeling like I had known for some time.  It isn't the first time...I walk into the chemo room (happened during my breast cancer experience too) and everyone stops what they are saying or reading...and stares at me. Not in a horrible way...but in a way that what is this "YOUNG" girl doing in here?! 

Once "T" and I made eye contact...it was on! She began asking me questions...and I kept telling my story.  She is fighting  Lung "C"...and I told her please don't listen or read statistics about anything that "we" are going through.  She said, "I don't...because I believe God is the only one that truly knows"-Praise the LORD!!! Yes-I agree 100% . Even a few weeks ago when my rad onco Dr told me the same thing that doctors only go by or know statistics=from what other patients have gone through or encountered...you can NOT go by that. You have to remain positive!!!  So "T" agreed with me-that this is the only way to fight our battles...surround yourself with positive people...don't think negative and keep fighting.  I even threw in my Aloe-Vera spill to her too...because she will probably have to go through with radiation next.

I pray for "T" and all of us warriors that continue to fight the good fight. I do believe whole-hearted that God only gives us what we can handle...and in the end we will be here to share our story, help others and live for many more years. 

"T" told me that I have been through so much...that I am going to get through this battle and live to be 90. I wouldn't mind living to be 90...as long as I am making a difference each and every day.

So tonight...I say THANK YOU GOD...for having my day all planned out just as you do each and every day. Thank you for loving me...giving me another day to share my story and hopefully I made a difference.

To you...my readers...Thank you for loving me, supporting me, and praying for me!!!  Without you and your continued well wishes and encouragement...this fight would be a little tough! I'm keeping my dukes up and fighting this fight one day at a time.

Until next time...here's to those that we have lost to the battle, to those that are fighting this battle , and here's to those that have beat it! 

1 comment: