Sunday, November 3, 2013

November: Day 2

Well by the time that you have read this the 2nd day of November has come and gone.  But...I have challenged myself and although a little late...I am not going to forget posting for the 2nd. 

So have you seen all the purple ribbons around the stores? Yea...me neither!  Which is why YOU have to be a voice...a voice that spreads the word about Pancreatic Cancer Awareness.  I want to challenge YOU to do something...email, text, call, tweet, re post, share...do what you gotta do to get the word out.  I want you to spread the word to at least 10 other people by encouraging them to read my blog.  I want so many others to be aware of this disease that EVERYONE is aware in some way.

I know I have many "medical" related people that read my blog...so its unfair to ask these questions...because hopefully-ha...they already know the answers to these questions.  Yes...I too have been in/around the medical field since I was 19 years old...but never truly "understood" the function of the PANCREAS until after my diagnosis.

1.  What does the pancreas do?
Well its a gland organ in the digestive and endocrine system.  The pancreas has 2 functional components: endocrine to produce insulin and other hormones, and exocrine to produce pancreatic juices for digestion.
The pancreas is in direct contact with the stomach, duodenum, spleen, and major vessels of the abdomen.

2. How many sections does the pancreas have?
*Head
*Body
*Tail

3.  Where is the pancreas located?
The pancreas is located deep in the abdomen-nestled between the stomach and the spine. It lies partially behind the stomach. The other portion is tucked in the curve of the duodenum (small intestine). Because of the pancreas' deep location...tumors are rarely palpable.  This also explains why many symptoms of pan-can often do not appear until the tumor grows large enough to interfere with the function of nearby structures such as the stomach, duodenum, liver, or gallbladder.

Well now you know a tad bit more about your pancreas...if you didn't already.

Until Next time...THINK PURPLE...spread the word.  Be aware! Remember if life gets a little fizzy...don't get into a tizzy...instead take a moment and remember this too shall pass. :)


  

No comments:

Post a Comment