Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Nov: Day 5 &Thunderbird

Well today is day 5 of my month long bloggin' challenge so lets get up and jive.  Well not really who wants to get up at 11:45pm and do a little dance.  Well instead I wanted to list a few things that can lead to a healthier lifestyle...which would mean a way to prevent cancer if possible...lower your risk.

*Exercise...I'm not talking about being at Crossfit everyday (although that is my dream to be a "crossfit" chick...someday sooner than later). I mean get out and walk or ride your bike daily.  Anything is better than just sitting around doing nothing.  I will be the first to admit...I have never liked running...nor do I see it in my future...but I do LOVE riding my bike a few miles a day around the neighborhood, especially with my 2 girlies. 

*Don't use tobacco products. I know this is a VERY hard habit for many to break.  But look on the bright side...you will not only smell better and feel better-you'll save lots of money. Who wants to waste money on a "can of chew" or a pack of "cigs". NOT, I!

*Eat Right! Limit your fat intake and eat PLENTY of fruits and vegetables.  If you get tired of shoving carrots and other vegetables down...you can always juice. :)  It takes work...but nobody said eating right comes easy.  It takes work and dedication to live a better lifestyle when it comes to eating.

*Protect yourself from the sun. Especially if you live in the sunshine states...make sure to see a dermatologist to check your skin. I myself make it a point to have a yearly exam.  I may not always like what the derm. doctor has to say...but I know that being proactive is key! Well I take it back...she always compliments me on my lips and how so many people pay big bucks to have lips like mine. Ha! I tell her yes, I am blessed! But seriously...if you see any abnormalities...get them checked!

*Medical care...make sure you are seeing a medical professional for regular check ups and if you have a history or family history with cancer that you are being screened.  Again...being proactive is so crucial!!!

______________________________________________________________________________
THUNDERBIRD...Home Sweet Home
Now the question of the day has been...how was your CT scan??? Any news yet??? Well peeps...as soon as I know my results, you can bet that I will be blogging for all to know.  I hate...yes I know strong word...but I hate drinking those barium bottles prior to the scan.  I described it to my girls as if someone turned Elmer's glue into a drink and tried to cover up the nasty taste by adding some "fake" berry flavor to it. Ummm...yuck! Needless to say I got my scan completed...and dealt with some tummy issues for the rest of the day.

But I need to share a special occurrence that happened to me before/during/after my scan.  So I arrived the 30 minutes prior.  Filled out the necessary paper work and then sat there in the medical image waiting area.

 I thought to myself all the life changing events that have occurred to me at Banner Thunderbird...from having my beautiful babies there, being diagnosed with breast cancer and having my mastectomies there, my abdominal hysterectomy...to being told I had cancer again and this time it was primary pancreatic.  That hospital holds a special place in my heart...and although there has been a LOT of tragic times there...I have also had some special memories that I will forever cherish and be grateful for. 

So as I signed my name and marked the date...I was greeted by the ct tech...Hello, My name is Samantha and I will be doing your ct scan today.  Ok, I thought to myself lets do this!  

She began to ask which arm I preferred her to start my iv. I showed her my left arm...and she kinda took a deep gulp and sighed. She then stated that too bad I didn't have a port so she could just access it that way instead of poking my arm again...as she could see my bruises and where I last had blood taken.  I pulled down my shirt to show her my port.  She was happy that she could call the RN  to come access my port and we would begin the test.  Well that didn't go as planned...they requested that if that was the case, I would need a chest x-ray to determine placement...Samantha being concerned...she didn't think I needed to have unnecessary radiation from the xray-I agreed. So next call was to the swat RN to come start an IV. It wasn't that I know Samantha didn't have the confidence that she couldn't get a good IV...but the fact that she was so concerned and compassionate for my comfort and well being. 

So the swat RN comes into the room and I began to tell both her and Samantha "my story"...how I was diagnosed at THEIR hospital...how the doctors and nurses took care of me...how I went onto Banner Good Sam for the whipple surgery, had chemo...and pretty much now here I was today for the scan because my tumor markers had elevated. They were both so attentive and listening to every detail I told.  The swat RN got my IV and left the room...Samantha did what she needed to do and the scan began.

I laid there trying to ease my mind and relax from being anxious...all I could do was reflect on all the memories that I had at T-bird.  I thought to myself...I really need to give Samantha a "blog-card" that is what I call them. Nothing more than a business card...instead has my blog address, face book prayer page, and name with my phone number.  Whenever I have an opportunity I pass them out like candy and try to make a difference in complete strangers lives in hopes they pay it forward...share my story and perhaps give others hope. 

So wouldn't you know the scan only took a short while...after feeling like I was going to "pee" my pants-lovely side affect from the contrast that is used in ct scans. So I thought Wow! Another one completed and just like the last ct scan...they seriously don't last as long as one would think.  So I threw on my top I was wearing over my tank-top and Samantha walked back near the area I had my purse on and where I was laying for the test.  I told her Thank YOU and I handed her my blog-card as I mentioned that I blog and when she got a chance she could read more of my story.  She took it and said..."Wait a minute!"...are you on face book?- I answered YES! Oh my she continued on...Do you know "KRICO"??? I said of course...she's a good friend and I worked at Boswell with her.  Samantha's eyes at that point got teary as she said, " I have been praying for you, ever since KRICO shared your story on face book...I have been lifting you in prayers! "

It was at that moment that I knew God had everything planned out...I was scheduled to be at a complete different hospital...but Banner Estrella's machines were down for a few more weeks...so i chose to go to Thunderbird...my "other" Home Sweet Home! Thank you Samantha and those of you that have played a role in my health care.  Your compassion, and dedication does NOT go unnoticed.  I am grateful for people like YOU!

Until next time...thank your health care provider for the job that they do.  Encourage others to wear PURPLE.  Pray for GOOD results from my scan...and make a difference today!

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing woman, I thank you for the kind words and to also hear your perspective of the experience. Expect your miracle. God Bless you and know that you are being lifted up by many to our powerful Lord and savior.

    ReplyDelete